HEALTHY WEIGHT LOSS
Why fad diets and weight loss gimmicks don’t work:
• Fad diets usually restrict one important macronutrient: carbohydrates, fats, or protein. The problem is that for a well balanced healthy diet all of those macronutrients are required. Protein is used to build muscle, fat has nutrients in it that promote a healthy heart, and carbohydrates provide energy. The key to weight loss and consuming a well balanced diet is choosing foods that are healthy and contain good fats and carbohydrates.
• Many fad diets require extraordinary effort in diet and exercise. These efforts are often too difficult or impossible to sustain for long periods of time. Some diets may have you on liquid only for a week – well of course you will lose weight, but you will gain it right back the next week. Unless you can learn and stay with a healthy diet you will not be able to keep the weight off.
• You cannot permanently boost your metabolism. Metabolism is the process you body uses to turn food into energy. Most people have an average metabolism that adjusts itself to your body’s daily needs. If you are live a non-active couch potato lifestyle your metabolism will be “slower” than an Olympic athlete’s because you do not require as much energy throughout the day. A person with more muscle will also burn more calories throughout the day than a person of the same size and weight that has more body fat. Besides your body’s basic energy needs physical activity also helps determine your metabolism rate. The more physically active you are the more calories you will burn, that is why exercise is so important in a weight loss program.
Extremely low calorie diets
• Starving yourself puts your body in conservation mode. Unless supervised by a doctor, a diet that holds you below 1000 calories a day is not going to work! Your body needs energy to breathe, walk, think, and circulate blood. If you are not eating enough calories your body will try to conserve energy and will burn less calories = which means less weight loss – or none at all.
• Diet pills interfere with your body’s natural functions. They can create disturbances in hormone balance, cause you to become addicted, or make it harder for you to maintain a healthy weight when not taking the pill. Many diet pills have serious side effects and do more harm than good. There is no magic way to lose weight – diet and exercise are the only way!
•For most healthy adults body vibrations isn’t going to produce any fitness gains or weight loss. Having a machine vibrate your body doesn’t burn calories – you must use energy to move your body to burn calories. Just like letting a machine do a bicep curl for you while you sit and relax does not make your muscle grow stronger.
The bottom line
• You will NOT lose weight unless you consume less calories than you burn off.
READ MORE BLOGS
You may already be aware that fructose – the sugar found in everything from high fructose corn syrup and fruit juice to agave syrup and honey – is harmful when consumed in excess – which is exactly what many (if not most) Americans do. However, you may be surprised to...
There are other aspects of a healthy life besides a nutritional diet and daily exercise. Sometimes we overlook these areas when we try to become healthy. Health is a comprehensive term and cannot be used to just describe one aspect of your body or life. There is...
Why sleep is important and what it does for your body: Research shows • People who get 5 hours of sleep or less are 50% more likely to be obese than those who get 8 or more hours of sleep a night. • People who sleep 5-6 hours are 23% more likely to be obese than...